Pages

Sunday 13 November 2011

Russian Salad



"Salade Olivier" as it is called in Russia is commonly called "Russian Salad" here in India.This dish was and probably still is the most traditional dish and is synonymous in Russia with holiday celebrations – traditionally made for New Year’s and nearly any other major event involving a large family meal.
As for me, this dish is pure nostalgia, taking me down memory lane as this was one of my  favorite dishes as a child. I used to wait for a party to be hosted at home, when my mom would make this luscious dish. Of course, now, because of the high fat content of mayonnaise and cream in the dish I generally try to avoid this gloriously sumptuous dish.
But this time, while making Russian Salad, I tried out a new recipe of egg less Mayonnaise which I certainly  felt was much lighter both on the palate and my stomach and to top it there was no eggy aftertaste. The taste was as good as the real Mayonnaise and the best part was that the oil content was much lesser, definitely making me feel less guilty about eating it. I just love the  versatility of the salad as you can  throw in almost anything in it - leftovers, veggies, meat, chicken - and still it tastes heavenly. 


Ingredients
1 cup Eggless Mayonnaise
1/2 cup cream
1 cup yogurt
2 apples, peeled and diced 
1 potato, boiled and diced into cubes
1/2 cup pomegranates
1 cup mixed boiled veg - beans, carrots, cauliflower, peas


Method
In a bowl, mix the Mayonnaise, yogurt and cream till mixed well .
Add the diced vegetables and fruits.
Check the seasoning.
Chill before serving.













3 comments: