Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Valentine Peanut Butter Cookies



 It was Valentines Day yesterday and to celebrate this love filled day  I, along with my daughter and son excitedly set about to make Valentine Day Cookies. Its another story that the recipe turned out entirely different than what we had actually started with. 
I searched out a recipe for "Vanilla and Sugar Cookies" from the net, which looked absolutely perfect to me. We began alright, with my son and daughter both taking positions on either side of me, ready to take the challenge heads on. I too was looking forward to trying out the new recipe as I did not have much experience in making cookies, especially Royal Icing with which we were planning to ice the cookies with. 
Armed with the recipe in front of me, I started giving instructions. My son started measuring out the butter and sugar in a bowl, and on my other side, my daughter, was measuring the flour in a measuring cup. While I had all my attention on my son, as I was trying to tell him that when he turns the hand mixer on it should be on low speed to insure that the sugar doesn't go flying all over the place, my daughter having finished measuring the flour,was asking me what to do with it. 
I told her to put it in a separate bowl, maybe I wasn't clear enough because before I knew it she had dumped the flour in the bowl with the sugar and butter. When I realized what had happened I totally froze because as per the recipe we were supposed to beat the butter and sugar till really fluffy, then put in the eggs and in the end the flour. Standing there for a moment I just didn't know what to do. The first thought that came to my mind was to salvage the ingredients. I thought of adding more eggs and milk to the mixture and make a cake - maybe that could have been a possibility but looking at the disappointed look on my children s faces, I decided to just go ahead and take a chance at making the cookies.
I added one egg and then beat the flour, butter and sugar mixture really well with a electric beater but even after a few minutes the sugar was still grainy and the mixture was really dry like breadcrumbs. I added one more egg to the mixture but still didn't seem to make much of a difference. Then I thought of adding peanut butter as I thought it  might help the mixture to come together. I  rolled up my sleeves, added in the peanut butter and started kneading the dough. After about 5 minutes, the dough seemed more soft and pliable. Relieved, I kept the dough in the fridge to rest for 10 minutes. Later, to test the dough, whether it would actually work, I rolled out a small  piece and keeping my fingers crossed put it in the preheated oven to bake. It worked!! The cookies actually tasted great!! Excitedly, I called out to the kids, who had left the kitchen earlier disappointed. Hearing all wasn't doomed, they rushed back, all ready for the next step. Everyone had great fun - cutting, baking and then decorating the cookies just the way they wanted.
Down below I am giving both the methods, the original (just omit 1 egg and the peanut butter) and my new found one. Go ahead and make whichever one you prefer.


Ingredients
1 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp peanut butter
 For the Royal Icing
1 egg white
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups Icing sugar, sifted


Original Method
In a bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, baking powder and salt. 
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. 
Add the egg and vanilla and beat on low speed until well mixed. 
Beating on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and continue to beat till incorporated.
  Press the dough into a rough rectangle, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 10 - 12 minutes until firm.
Preheat the oven to 180C. 
 Roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick. 
Using cookie cutters, cut the cookies into the desired shapes.
Use a metal spatula to transfer the cookies to the prepared sheets, spacing them 1 inch thick. Press the dough scraps together, roll out, and cut out additional shapes.
Bake the cookies until they are lightly golden around the edges but the tops are barely colored, 14 -16 minutes.
 Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes. Using the metal spatula, transfer to wire racks and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
 Decorate the cookies as desired.
My Method
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, butter and sugar till the mixture resembles that of fresh breadcrumbs.
Add in the 2 eggs,salt and vanilla essence. Beat again 2 -3 minutes.
Next add the peanut butter and knead the dough well with your hands till the dough comes together and is soft.
 Press the dough into a rough rectangle, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 10 - 12 minutes until firm.
.For the rest, follow the same steps as above.


For Royal Icing : In a bowl, beat the egg white with the lemon juice with an electric mixer until combined. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. Using a small knife, push the icing to the edge of the cookie. If the icing runs off the edge, thicken the icing by adding a little more confectioners sugar. Conversely, if the icing is too thick, add a little water.The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.








       


3 comments:

  1. how cute they look!!.....ill bookmark this post..and if i do make it, will let you know how they turned out!!

    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! Do let me know how they turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its nice 2 taste too n easy 2 make.

    ReplyDelete