Pages

Sunday 2 September 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

               
I don't know if this is the same with all the boys or just my boy  but I find it an absolutely herculean task to get my son to study. Exams being just around the corner, I can see no signs of anxiety in him. In fact, I am more nervous and tense ( I think all mothers go through this phase of anxiety pangs during this particular time, barring a few lucky ones, who are blessed with kids who study on their own) as contrast to his calm disposition towards his exams.
 Though I had resolved that this time I will not teach him for his exams (in an attempt to get him into a habit of studying independently) even though it might be at the cost of his marks. But seeing no progress towards starting his preparations for the exams, my anxiety got the better of me and promising myself to keep my resolve for the next exams, I finally issued him an ultimatum to come to me with his books.
I thought it best to begin with social studies as it had a really vast course (with 16 chapters coming altogether in History, Civics and Geography - I actually pity the poor kid). We started off  with the chapter "Rocks and Minerals". Midway through the chapter, was an explanation about the formation of rocks, where the rocks were compared to chocolate cookies. The book gave a  detailed explanation about how like a chocolate cookie was made up of chocolate, sugar, butter etc, similarly a rock was made of many minerals. I had hardly even completed my sentence when my boy announced, "Mom! I am feeling really hungry! How long do you think it takes to make these cookies?"
One look at him and from his  expression, I could already make out that after this concentrating on the lesson would be hard for him. Guiltily, I gave in but not without getting him to promise to make it up by an extra hour of studies (How wicked we mothers can be !!)
I hurriedly searched through my recipe books for a quick and easy recipe and finally found one which I thought would come out the best (I think I was as excited as he was since I hadn't fed my poor blog for a long time and obviously was feeling the withdrawal pangs). 
The cookies were perfectly delicious in every way - buttery and crisp with loads of chocolate chips inside them and so easy to make. Couldn't have asked for anything better........
A much better pastime than studying !!
Ingredients
1/3 cup castor sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
100 gms butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
11/4 cups flour
250 gms chocolate chips
1 egg

Method
Set the oven to 185C
In a mixing bowl beat the butter with both kinds of sugar till soft and creamy.
Add an egg into the butter mixture and beat until smooth.
Then add the vanilla essence and mix again.
Next, add  in the flour, salt and baking soda to the mixture a little at a time.
Stir everything together until smooth.
Now add the chocolate chips to the mixture and stir them in until they are spread evenly through the cookie dough.
Butter a baking tray and spoon small mounds of the dough onto it, leaving lots of space between the mounds.
Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until they are an even golden brown.
Keep aside to cool.
This batter will give you about 18 big sized cookies.
Once they are completely cool transfer them to an airtight container to keep them crisp and fresh - though you don't have to worry about this one as they definitely won't last that long.



No comments:

Post a Comment