Pages

Sunday 2 December 2012

The Ultimate Brownies

                           
This weekend my sonny boy came up to me with what he thought was a brilliant idea. He wanted to have brownies!! Not only that, he also wanted to make them all by himself. 
Whoa! Brilliant idea? Really? I know the very thought of not having mom's overpowering presence constantly hawk-watching every move of his, must be thrilling him to bits but certainly the idea didn't seem very appealing to me. I could just visualize the mayhem in my kitchen after he finished baking - bottles with open lids, eggs shells all over the counter, spilled sugar, flour and God knows what not, all over the floor.......nothing short of an explosion having taken place in the kitchen. Eeks!! The very thought of it was enough to send shudders down my spine. The whole idea, totally unbearable and unacceptable, after mentally calculating how many hours it would take me to clean my precious kitchen later.
But then, proud as I might be of my super clean and organised kitchen, seeing the little guys keen enthusiasm and eagerness I just threw caution to the winds and reluctantly nodded my head to give a very unwilling yes (how bad could the situation  actually be?)
He had done his groundwork well too. He was armed and ready with a recipe in his hand, after digging through my innumerable recipe books. I have this lovely book by Emeril lagasse "There's a chef in my soup! Recipes for the kid in everyone" which is a great  book with loads of fun recipes which you can enjoy making with your kids. His step-by-step instructions are really simple and easy for the kids to follow.

The brownies were out of this world - really ultimate in taste. No!! I am not saying this just because my son made it but they were actually very delicious - soft, chewy and extremely chocolatey !!  Without a doubt, the best I have ever tasted so far !!


Ingredients
1 Tbsp plus 3/4 cup butter
1Tbsp plus 3/4 cup all purpose flour
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (I used 100 gms)
11/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
11/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup chopped walnuts slightly roasted (optional)

The proud Baker

Method
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with 1 Tbsp of butter.
Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of flour on the pan and shake and swirl it to coat the sides and bottom evenly. Hold the pan over the sink or trash can, then turn it upside down and lightly tap the bottom to release any extra flour. Set aside.
Place the remaining butter and the chocolate in a medium glass bowl and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave, uncover and stir well.
Return the butter and chocolate mixture to the microwave and cook further for 30 - 60 seconds, or until the chocolate is melted.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture into a large mixing well. 
Add the granulated sugar and whisk until smooth.
Add 1/4 cup of the flour and whisk to combine. Crack and add 1 egg and whisk to combine.
Alternate adding the remaining flour and eggs, whisking well after each addition.
Stir in the vanilla essence and toasted nuts (My son doesn't like nuts, therefore not added) and mix well. 
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. 
Bake until the brownies rise and a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Let the pan cool on a wire rack for atleast 1 hour before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment