Pages

Monday 18 March 2013

Creme Caramel


Ask me about my favorite dessert and without a doubt it has got to be Caramel custard. I am not really a dessert person but this is one sweet dish I just can't help but swoon over. I grew up eating creme caramel though of course back in those days it was called by a different name - a less sophisticated sounding caramel custard. Even as a child, I remember whenever mom used to make it, I used to excitedly wait for the moment when the dish used to be overturned, the beautifully firm egg custard bathed in the bitter sweet golden-hued caramel leaving me totally mesmerized. And the taste - smooth, melt in the mouth it was pure heaven!!
I too have tried out various versions of this recipe over a period of time but somehow I have just never been able to get it right. In fact I had started to think that this recipe is totally a jinx for me. I have had a whole series of  too hard- too soft-too eggy-too burnt-too crumbly, episodes making me totally disagree with people who say that "Any fool can make a creme caramel.  You don't need skill". I think making a perfect caramel custard does require a fair amount of cooking skills- something which I have yet to perfect.
This time around too, I was not entirely happy with the end result as I failed to achieve the glossy-smooth silky finish that I wanted. It might not have looked good but I must say I give full marks to this recipe for the taste and the texture. 
For best results do make it a day ahead and served chilled.


(This recipe is adapted from Nita Mehta's IFB cookbook)
Ingredients
21/2 cups milk
5 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp milk powder
1 tsp vanilla custard powder
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp sugar to caramelize
 Method
Mix milk with sugar, milk powder and custard powder till smooth in a microwaveable dish and microwave for 10 minutes stirring once or twice in between after 5 minutes.
Let it cool.
Beat eggs and vanilla essence well with an egg beater till light and fluffy.
Add to the cooled milk.
Preheat the oven to 200C.
Melt 3 Tbsp sugar in a kadhai on low heat till golden. Pour in 6 small individual heat proof bowls. Let the sugar set for 5 minutes.
Pour the milk egg mixture on top.
Cover with aluminium foil.
Pour the milk egg mixture on top.
Cover with aluminium foil.
Bake at 200 C for 20-25 minutes until firm and golden. 
Keep overnight in the fridge until it sets.
To serve, run the knife all around the mold and invert it on a plate.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks great...I was thinking of making this for quite sometime. Your creme caramel picture is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Purabi. It did taste as good as it looked!! Definitely a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This my favourite dessert too!!! You've perfectly made!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mansi Bhatnagar30 April 2013 at 02:59

    Looks amazing Mukta bhabhi. Will definitely try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete