Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Cheese and Sausage Muffin

                              
Tired of making sweet muffins?? Try making these savory Cheese and Sausage Muffins which are really easy to make and the ingredients are totally flexible. 
But this is not what I had originally set out to make!! With 2 packets of mushrooms lying in the fridge, I  was desperately thinking of ways where I could use them to make something different, as I was quite bored of using them (and the kids of eating them) in the same old way added to the baked vegetables, stir fried veggies, curries, pastas and soups. Searching the net, I came across this interesting recipe of  Mushroom and Bacon muffin which not only looked quite easy but seemed promising too. My excitement ( happens whenever I am trying out a new recipe)  was quickly turned to disappointment on finding out that I had run out of bacon. Not feeling enthusiastic enough to go trekking to the market in the heat just to get bacon, I decided to substitute the bacon for sausages that I could see lying in the freezer. Of course, its totally another story that after putting away the batch of muffins in the oven to bake, I realized I had forgotten to put in the very ingredient, which was the reason for my making this recipe in the first place. Yes, you guessed it right!! Silly me, I forgot to add the mushroom to my muffins (I had kept them aside to add in the very end).
Nevertheless, the muffins were  delicious - light, full of flavor and served with the mushroom pasta (Stupidly, I forgot to add the mushrooms in the muffins and they finally ended up in the pasta), they disappeared in no time. Make sure that you make a couple extra - you can have them for breakfast and also they make a healthy snack for your child's lunchboxes. 
.                           
Ingredients
2 eggs
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
200 gms sausages, cut into small pieces
2 tsp chives
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2  tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used Amul Cheese)
80 gms butter melted
50 gms grated mozzarella cheese for the topping

Method
Preheat oven to 200C and lightly grease a muffin tray.
In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, chives, cheese, and chopped sausages.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs for 2-3 minutes. Add in the milk and the melted butter.
Add this mixture to the sausage mixture till just combined.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tray filling them two-thirds full.
Top with chopped sausages and grated mozzarella cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes till cooked through and golden brown or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Once cool, loosen the edges and turn out the muffins.
Serve warm.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ingredients dont have mushrooms but method talks about mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sorry ! I meant the sausage mixture. Thanks for pointing

    ReplyDelete