Pages

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

"Cookie is the answer.... who cares what the question is..."
Exams over and the kids (and their parents!!) can breathe easy again for some time.
To celebrate the end of her confinement, my daughter had a sleepover planned at our house with two of her closest friends. Having the advantage of being in the same school for over 10 years (for a person like me who has changed over 11 different schools because of my father being in the army, I feel my children are blessed to have the opportunity to continue in the same school for the past so many years). This also means that, apart from being saved from going through the trouble of changing schools every year or two years in addition to having to make the effort to make new friends (which being an introvert I found pretty stressful), they were extremely fortunate to literally grow up with the same group of friends and form a close bond over the years. 
Sadly, now school is over for my daughter and her friends and they have to part ways as each one of them has to choose a path that will lead them to their destiny. But that does not necessarily mean that they have to say their final good-bye's. I am sure their paths will cross again and knowing them they will always be there for each other. The sweet memories of their schooldays will forever be there for them to cherish in their hearts. God bless them and may they all be successful in whatever endeavor they choose and whichever path they plan to tread on.
With 4 teenagers in the house I knew my ammunition needed to be ready in the kitchen. Not wanting to spend the whole day in the kitchen, I planned on making goodies which could be had as small bites and most importantly be made without much effort.
I got down to work and by the time the army arrived I was completely ready for the kitchen raid with chocolate chip cookies, pizza rolls and a chocolate cake lying ready in the refrigerator for the hungry battalion to feed on their nightly escapades.
I was happy and satisfied as the chocolate chip cookies, which I adapted from Betty Crocker were a big hit with the girls. More so because they were such a breeze to make. 
I added an extra egg and opted out of adding nuts as I know few kids (read my son) totally dislike nuts. I also upped the chocolate content by adding in extra cocoa powder and chocolate chunks which I knew would hit the right spot with the kids.
Ingredients (makes about 15-20 medium sized cookies)
100 gms Butter or Margarine
11/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1 egg
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking soda
11/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup small chocolate chunks
 Method
Heat oven to 180 C.
In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar till smooth.
Stir in vanilla essence and egg and beat till light and fluffy.
Stir in the oats, flour, baking soda and salt.
Stir in the chocolate chips and the chocolate chunks.
Onto a greased cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoon about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until golden brown.
Place on a wire rack to cool completely.

Note; Cookie dough can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking. If it becomes too firm, let stand at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment