Pages

Monday 5 May 2014

My 200th Post..... A Long Letter To My Daughter On Her 18th Birthday

 A daughter is a miracle that never ceases to be miraculous...full of beauty and forever beautiful...loving and caring and truly amazing -- Deanna Beisser
To our dearest Princess,
Today is an epic day for you. 
A new chapter begins in your life as you turn 18. You might have become an adult, but for me, I still think of you as my little baby who needs to be taken care of and protected at all times.
As far as I remember, you have always wanted to turn 18. How do you feel now?? Is life any different for you??I hope life fulfills all the expectations that you have from it and gives you as much happiness and love as you have given us. I eagerly wait in anticipation to see what life has in store for you. 
I remember when 18 years back, a gurgling bundle of joy was placed in our arms and life was never the same again for us. Being our first born, you were and always will be precious to us. Our entire world revolved around you. We cherished your every milestone - right from your first smile to your first tooth to your first step to your first words. You were such an adorable baby, perfect in every way, that whoever met you instantly fell in love with your charming ways. And believe me, that remains true till date.
Who would have thought that you would grow up into this strong, independent, charming woman, who I know is perfectly capable of handling the most difficult of situations. So even though, at times, you might feel I tend to get a bit over-protective about you, even to the extent of annoying you sometimes. But please do not think that in any way I am undermining your capabilities or that I am not confident that you are entirely capable of taking care of yourself. Actually, as a mother it has become my second nature, which still wants me to take care of you and protect you from anything untoward. Bear with me and don't worry in another 20-30 years I might just get over it!! ;)
It has been such a beautiful journey to bring you up and it fills me with pride to see that not only have you blossomed into a beautiful girl but a lovely human being as well. I love the way you are always so caring and thoughtful about others. As you walk through the path of life do not feel let down by hurdles that come in your way. Life is a challenge, make use of every opportunity that life brings you. Remember you are young only once, and these wonderful times will never return, so don't live your life that you have to look back with regret that even when you had the chance you let it go. Look for happiness in whatever you do, as at the end of the day that is what matters most. At the end of life's journey that is all that you are left with. 
People will disappoint you, but do not let that become a hurdle for you.  Always stand up for what you think is right. Help people who are less fortunate than you but at the same time, do not be so naive that people start taking you for granted. Try to be a person that people can rely on.You might not even get a word of thanks in return but that should not the intention in the first place. Just the satisfaction that you would get from having helped someone, is incomparable to the costliest gift in the world.
Love yourself because you are worth it and don't dare anyone tell you otherwise!! You and you alone are the master of your destiny - so reach up and go for it!!
Don't be in too much of a hurry to grow up. Being an adult also means a huge responsibility - both morally and socially. Tread carefully as every step of yours will leave an indelible impression behind. Never be afraid to ask for advise or call out for help when you need it. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness or make you small in any way. Don't let ego come in way of your happiness. If someone gives you constructive criticism take it with a pinch of salt. It does not mean they are trying to put you down but infact there might be great wisdom in their words which would help you.
Follow your dreams. Don't be afraid to make mistakes as those are the most important lessons you will never forget in your life. Above all remember you are always loved. As parents we are so proud to see that you have not only grown into a beautiful girl but a wonderful warm person as well.
I think I better stop preaching and stop moralizing before you tell me that "Mom, please don't get started again. I am an adult now!! I wonder why parents preach so much ?" Seriously!!
So I leave you here with a special wish for you.....
That in your life which is so precious to us,may troubles, worries and problems never linger; may they only make you stronger, more able and wise.May you rise each day with sunlight in your heart, success in your path, answers to your questions and that smile - that we love to see - always in your eyes.Have the courage to follow your heart and live your dream.You are 18 only once, don't let it be a regret.
Happy 18th Birthday Sweetheart!! 
               We love you with all our heart!
                                    xoxo- Dad and Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment