Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Mango Cake

                
I haven't come across a single person yet, who does not enjoy the heavenly flavor of this absolutely divine fruit - Mango. We all too have thoroughly enjoyed devouring mangoes in this season in every possible way - Mango milk shakes, Mango yogurt, Mango cheesecake, Mango custard...just the very thought of them is enough to set my tongue salivating. But sadly enough, this luscious fruit does not stay the whole year long. So bidding adieu to mangoes, I decided to bake a mango cake. 
When I opened the grocery cupboard, to my horror, I found out that I had almost run out of flour in the jar. When I measured the flour, it was just about 60 gm, while I needed about 100 gms to make the cake. As it was still quite early in the morning to order in the flour, I just decided to go ahead and make do with whatever ingredients I had available on hand. I decided to add in some cornflour to the flour (I had read some cake recipes with cornflour in them). I tipped in about 40 gms of cornflour with the flour and I was all ready to roll.
On baking, the cake was super soft and moist. In fact, it was so soft that I was afraid to remove the cake plate from underneath lest the cake crumbles before I took my pics.The top was perfectly browned and the taste was great. I will definitely be trying the cake again before this "King of Fruits" does the vanishing act. 
I served the cake in a beautiful cake plate (which I desperately wanted to show off) send to me by Urbandazzle (Thanks Neelam!! I absolutely loved it!!) It is simple yet very elegant. It is something which I didn't have and have been looking to add to my collection since a long time. I love their classy and unique range of products and the best part is you can just sit back and order from the comforts of your  home.
Ingredients:
Fresh Mango Puree-1/2 Cup
Thick Yogurt-1/2 Cup
Flour-50 gms
Cornflour- 40 gms
Brown Sugar-1/2 Cup
Castor sugar -1/2 Cup
Baking Powder-2 Tsp
Vanilla Essence-2 Tsp
Salt-1/4 Tsp
Oil -1/2 Cup
Method
Preheat oven to 180C.
Sift the dry ingredients - flour, Cornflour, baking powder, cornflour, and salt.
Beat the sugar and eggs till nicand frothy
Add the vanilla essence.
Whisk the yogurt and mango puree together till smooth
Add the dry ingredients and fold in smoothly with a wooden spatula.
When all the flour is mixed in add the oil and mix well.
Pour the batter in a prepared tin and bake it for about 50 mins or till a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean.

I'm loving it !!


No comments:

Post a Comment