Pages

Thursday 15 November 2012

Chocolate Mud Cake

                          
Ever since I attended the Philip Foodathon last month, I have been fantasizing about the "Chocolate Mud cake" which was served there for dessert. 
Soft, gooey, dark, intensely-chocolatey, deliciously-melt-in-the-mouth - I just fall short of adjectives when describing this lovely decadent  moist chocolate cake. Just one bite into the satiny-smooth, wickedly rich cake and it is enough to send you in spirals of ecstasy and pure bliss. (Has it started haunting you too?)
This is the absolute perfect cake to make for a special occasion. And for me that special occasion was my dad's birthday on the 6th of November. Topped with a rich Chocolate Ganache icing and a Chocolate Mousse filling, this cake was a definite winner all the way.....

Dear dad,
This is dedicated to you .............
Life Lessons
You may have thought I didn't see,
Or that I hadn't heard,
Life lessons that you taught to me,
But I got every word.
Perhaps you thought I missed it all,
And that we'd grow apart,
But Dad, I picked up everything,
It's written on my heart.
Without you, Dad, I wouldn't be
The (woman) I am today;
You built a strong foundation
No one can take away.
I've grown up with your values,
And I'm very glad I did;
So here's to you, dear father,
From your forever grateful kid.
By Joanna Fuchs

source: http://www.poemsource.com/father-poems.html

For the cake layer
250 g butter chopped
200 gm dark chocolate grated
1 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tsp vanilla essence
215 gm castor sugar (1 cup)
225 gm flour
2 tsp baking powder
30 g cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
3 eggs
80 ml buttermilk (1/3 cup)
melted butter to grease

For the Chocolate Mousse layer
200 gms dark chocolate 
200 ml cream
2 Tbsp icing sugar
50 ml milk

For the Chocolate Ganache
200 gm dark cooking chocolate (chopped)
60 ml(1/4 cup) thickened cream

Method

To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 160°C. 
Brush a round 9 inch cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease.
Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
Place the butter, cooking chocolate, coffee and vanilla in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). 
Stir with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, eggs and buttermilk to the chocolate mixture. Use a balloon whisk to fold it in gently until well combined.
Spoon the cake batter into a prepared tin.
Bake in the oven for 1 hr 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Set aside in the pan to cool completely.

For the Mousse Layer
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Heat the milk until boiling,then whisk in the melted chocolate.
Leave to cool.
Whip the cream  with the icing sugar until it is stiff and soft peaks are formed.
Then fold in the cooled chocolate.
.
To make the Chocolate Ganache
Place the chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water).
Stir with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.

To assemble the cake
Cut the cake evenly into half using a long serrated knife.
Place the lower half of the cake on a serving dish.
Cover it with a generous layer of the Chocolate Mousse Filling.
Place the upper layer of the cake on top.
Spread the Chocolate Ganache evenly over the top and sides of the cake. 
Set aside for 10 minutes to set. 

To finish off the cake, pipe a shell border around the cake and decorate with chocolate leaves and chocolate curls.


2 comments:

  1. aww!! what a sweet gesture...wish i could do something as nice for my dad when he was alive!!

    but maybe i can make for my mum....you have inspired me to try atleast..since my mum loves my brownies!!

    its so nice to connect with you via blogworld...thats why i love blogging so much in the first place!!

    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments Sushmita...

    ReplyDelete