Pages

Tuesday 29 November 2011

Pasta with mushroom sauce


This simple pasta recipe is very easy to prepare and has plenty of flavors. It is perfect to make when you are in a mood to cook up a continental fare for a dinner party and your guests are vegetarian. That is exactly how I came to think of making this recipe.
 My husband invited a few colleagues from his office for dinner. It was only  much later, after I had chalked out the whole menu, that I came to know that most of the guests were totally vegetarian, who did not even eat eggs. To think up of  vegetarian dishes, without even eggs, while planning a continental menu, always ties me in knots.
After much introspection, I settled for making a vegetarian moussaka, jacket potatoes, hot -pot macaroni, Russian salad, pizza rolls and a Grilled chicken dish. My menu seemed just perfect. The only problem was that most of my dishes seemed to have tomatoes in it and usually I try to  have different flavors in each of my dish.
 I had some mushrooms lying, so I decided to stir fry them with some onions and garlic and then toss in the pasta. Even after doing all this, the dish seemed too dry and bland.Then I remembered, years ago I had learnt this lovely recipe of baby potatoes in mushroom sauce where the sauce was made out of a soup packet. I made some mushroom soup from a packet and added the soup to my pasta. It worked!! The combination was a great hit. It was just what I needed to perk up my dish and add some great flavors to it. 
Try it! It is just the thing to have on a cold winter evening.

 Ingredients
 3 cups cooked pasta of your choice (I used fusili)
2 onions, chopped finely
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic, chopped
100 gm mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp  dried thyme
1 packet knorr mushroom soup
1/4 cup cream
salt to taste

  • Method
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the mushrooms and thyme.Saute on high heat for about 5 minutes.
  • Toss in the pasta and mix well.
  • Add salt to taste.  
  • In another pan make the mushroom soup. keep the quantity of water less so that you have the consistency of a thick sauce, so if the packet asks you to put in 4 cups of water add 3 instead.
  • Add the prepared soup to the pasta and cook on medium heat for a few minutes.Stir in the cream and turn off the heat.
  • Serve hot.







No comments:

Post a Comment